Thun-Hohenstein Palace (Palace of the Lords of Hradec, Slavata Palace, Kolowrat Palace) - Nerudova Street 20/214, Lesser Town
Nerudova Street 20/214, Lesser Town
One of the most valuable peak Baroque palaces in the whole Prague was built for Norbert Vincenc of Kolowrat in 1721-26 by G. A. Lurago and B. Scotti based on a plan by J. B. Santini in the site of five houses. It was designed as a southern section of a Renaissance palace of the Lords of Hradec (Thunovská ulice 25/193). Thun-Hohenstein Palace along with the Morzin Palace standing opposite, is considered to be one of Santini’s masterpieces in terms of palace architecture. The façade is decorated by a majestic portal with two large heraldic eagles from the coat-of-arms of the Kolowrat family and statues of Jupiter with an eagle and Juno with a peacock, all by M. B. Braun. There are two Kolowrat coats-of-arms located below the cornice of the middle window. On the sides of the main entrance there are two smaller entry gates for pedestrians which emphasize the magnificence of the whole façade. This palace was owned by Thun-Hohenstein family from 1768. In the first half of the 19th century it became one of the centers of social life for the pro-Czech nobility, before 1848 the Thun salon was based there where Prague artists met with their patrons and customers. The interiors were adapted at the beginning of the 19th century, the central staircase based on a plan by J. Zítek with paintings by F. Ženíšek a J. Tulka is from 1870. In 1924 the palace was bought by the Italian government, in 1937 it underwent a reconstruction and now the Italian embassy is located there.