Statuary of St. Norbert, St. Wenceslas and St. Sigismund - the seventh one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the seventh one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statuary was created by Josef Max in 1853 and donated by Jeroným Zeidler (1790–1834), an abbot from the Strahov Monastery. The academically portrayed saints are on a pseudo-Gothic pedestal; St. Norbert is in the middle, St. Sigismund is on his right and St. Wenceslas, holding a pennon, is on his left. Latin inscriptions on the pedestal say: Donated by Jeroným Zeidler, an abbot from Strahov, for the third time in 1853 with the statues of St. Wenceslas and St. Sigismund, in memory of St. Norbert, a holy patriach and canon of the Order of Premonstratensians and a patron of the Czech Kingdom; St. Wenceslas, a martyr, Czech prince and patron. The grace and consolation of the land (on the left); St. Sigismund, a martyr. A king of Burgund, Czech patron and eternal warrior of the Kingdom of Christ (on the right). – This is the third statuary here; the first one with St. Norbert and Beatified Adrian and James, created in the Brokof workshop in 1708, was destroyed by the Prussians and replaced in 1765 by the statutary of St. Norbert with angels made by Ignác František Platzer (1717–1787); both of these statuaries are now missing. However, we know what they looked like thanks to engravings and a small model of the statuary in the library of the Strahov Monastery. – The place from which the body of St. John of Nepomuk was supposedly thrown into the river (between the statuary and the statue of St. John the Baptist) is marked with the archiepiscopal cross inserted into the bridge balustrade.