Statuary of St. Ivo - the first one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the first one on the left looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The statuary, made of sandstone from Hořice, was created by Matyáš Bernard Braun in 1711 as his second scuplture in Prague and donated by the Law Faculty of the Prague University (St. Ivo is a patron of lawyers). The statuary portrays an old man and a widow with a child who are looking up to the saint for help. The saint is depicted as a religious judge protecting the poor against injustice of the powerful. On his right, there is an allegoric blindfolded Justice with a scale and sword. The relief on the pedestal shows a mass served for a reconciled dispute between a mother and her son. It is believed that law students used to come to pray to the statue before their exams. The original of the statuary is now in the Lapidarium of the National Museum. The copy of the statutary was made by František Hergesel Jr. (1857–1929) in 1908. Braun supposedly received 1 200 guldens for the statuary, which is twice the amount paid to Ferdinand Maxmilián Brokof and five times the amount paid to other Prague sculptors.