Saxon House (At Šteinices) - Mostecká Street 3/55, Lesser Town
Mostecká Street 3/55, Lesser Town
The house was originally a part of the so-called Saxon Court, a group of houses given to the Dukes of Saxony by Charles IV as hereditary property; it was owned by them until 1409. From the Gothic building only cellars and parts of walls were preserved, its current appearance is the result of a Renaissance reconstruction (probably by J. C. de Bossi after 1592) and Classicist adaptations (1826-28). The monumental Renaissance portal is very precious. In the 19th century a well known pub of V. Steinitz was found there, in 1898-1932 there was a bookstore and a stationary shop of Josef Šváb Malostranský, a cabaretier and the first Czech film actor.