-
Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace Morzin Palace 

Morzin Palace - Nerudova Street 5/256, Lesser Town

Morzin Palace

Nerudova Street 5/256, Lesser Town

One of the most important buildings of Prague High Baroque style was built for Václav of Morzin in 1713-14 by J. B. Santini in a site of four older houses; along with the Thun-Hohenstein Palace that stands right across the street, it is considered to be one of the best Santini’s works in the field of palace architecture. Two-story façade is decorated by sculptures of F. M. Brokof (Moors hold the balcony – coat-of-arms of the owner, busts of Day and Night above the portal, plastic Morzin symbol in centre of the façade and allegorical representations of continents on the attic). Other wings have only one floor and they surround two courtyards with fountains; there is a garden attached to the back tract. On the façade there is an apparent effort of the Baroque architect visible as he wanted to maintain symmetry: the entrance portal on the left side is reflected on the right side where there are windows instead of gate, however. In some rooms Renaissance ceilings, Rococo stucco decorations and stove were preserved. After the Tolerance bill was passed in 1781, there was the first ever Protestant prayer room in Bohemia located there, opened by cavalry general Wurms. The Morzin family owned the palace until 1881. At present time the building is used by the Romanian government for its Embassy. According to a legend, the statues of Moor become alive at night and walk around Prague.

Sort by: location name

 

number of visitors:

 – Počítadlo.cz           Provoz webu zajišťuje www.internetportal.cz