-
Monument of Charles IV. Monument of Charles IV. Monument of Charles IV. Monument of Charles IV. Monument of Charles IV. 

Monument of Charles IV. - Křižovnické Square, Old Town

Monument of Charles IV.

Křižovnické Square, Old Town

Neo-Gothic bronze statue of Charles IV was unveiled in the centre of the square in 1848 on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the foundation of Charles University. It was made according to a model by a Dresdner sculptor A. Hähnel and casted by a Nürnberg moulder J. D. Burgschmiet, cast-iron pedestal was made by Larchhammer’s iron works in Saxony. The square was re-arranged and expanded, the water level between the first bridge arch and the building of the monastery of the Order of the Knights of the Cross was covered up. The main statue of the memorial is the figure of the ruler in a royal outfit with a crown on his head; in his right hand he holds the founding document of the university. On the pedestal there are four allegorical statues of the university faculties at that time (artistic, theological, law and medicine) and statues of important personalities of Charles‘ court (Arnošt of Pardubice, Jan Očko of Vlašim, Beneš of Kolowraty, Matthias of Arras.)

Sort by: location name

 

number of visitors:

 – Počítadlo.cz           Provoz webu zajišťuje www.internetportal.cz