Kučera´s Palace (At the Golden Ship, At Demartinis) - Pohořelec 22/144, Hradčany
Pohořelec 22/144, Hradčany
This corner palace was developed through numerous adaptations of a former Gothic townhouse, the current appearance comes from a peak Baroque refurbishment between 1765-69; its Rococo stucco façade is especially striking. Between 1955-59 the building was converted into a hotel, insensitive changes were undone in the 1990´s. The house has been owned by Kolowrat and Vrbna families among other, later also by the Italian Demartini family of chimney-sweepers who held the privilege to „sweep imperial chimneys“. Other owners included imperial officer J. Kučera, known for his friendly relations with L. van Beethoven.