A square in Hradčany between Pohořelec and Hradčanské Square. The today’s open space had been a burial ground in the 10th century and a marketplace in the 14th century, it only became part of Hradčany under the rule of Charles IV, who expanded the city and had new walls built around it. The square as it is now was probably created during the times after the Battle at the White Mountain, when residential buildings were replaced by representative aristocratic and sacral structures. The name comes from the Loretto chapel, which was built here in the 1620’s and became the foundation for the pilgrim site of Loretto. Due to its calmness, the square belongs to some of the prettiest ones in Prague.