-

Hradčanské Square

The open space at close quarters with the Prague Castle became the centre of the newly established liege city of Hradčany in 1320. After the big fire of 1541, palaces for the nobility, who wanted to live close to the royal residency, began to grow on the burnt down grounds; the exclusivity of the place increased even more after 1583, when Rudolph II chose Prague as his residential city. In Theresian times the protective trenches around the Castle were filled up and since then, the Castle and the square have been connected as one whole. On its south-eastern side, the square transforms into the Prague Castle ramp, which offers one of the most beautiful views on the Lesser Town, the Old Town and the New Town on the other side of the river, as well as other parts of Prague.

 

number of visitors:

 – Počítadlo.cz           Provoz webu zajišťuje www.internetportal.cz